Thursday, October 16, 2014

God's Plan


David, after having defeated Saul and his army, settled into the palace in Jerusalem as the new king. After having hidden in caves while Saul's men tried to capture and kill him, the Lord gave David rest from his enemies (2 Samuel 7:1). Yet David realized, as he rested in his beautiful home, that the ark of the covenant still had no home. David said to Nathan the prophet, "here I am living in a palace of cedar, while the ark of God remains in a tent" (2 Samuel 7:2). David wanted to do something for God.

That night, the word of the Lord came to Nathan, saying:
"Go and tell my servant David, 'This is what the Lord says: Are you the one to build me a house to dwell in? I have not dwelt in a house from the day I brought the Israelites up out of Egypt to this day. I have been moving from place to place with a tent as my dwelling...Now then, tell my servant David, 'This is what the Lord Almighty says: I took you from the pasture and from following the flock to be ruler over my people Israel. I have been with you wherever you have gone, and I have cut off all your enemies from before you. I will make your name great, like the names of the greatest men of the earth. And I will provide a place for my people Israel and will plant them so that they can have a home of their own and no longer be disturbed (8-10). "'The Lord declares to you that the Lord himself will establish a house for you; When your days are over and you rest with your fathers, I will raise up your offspring to succeed you, who will come from your own body, and I will establish his kingdom. He is the one who will build a house for my Name, and I will establish the throne of his kingdom forever (11 b-13).

God had not chosen David to build him a temple. This task would be given to Solomon, David's son.

Have you ever wanted to do something for God? Maybe you went to great effort to bring the plans to fruition only to encounter road blocks and detours. I know that much of my desire to have a daughter was selfish, yet God used this desire to bring my daughter home from Vietnam. However, even the process of bringing her home was filled with frustration, corruption and delays. I did not have to hide in a cave and run for my life, but like David, I had to learn to wait on God before I could rest.

God's message to David, when he wanted to build a home for the ark was a bit shocking. "Are you the one to build me a house to dwell in?" God reminds David that He would appoint someone to do this job in His timing and in His way. We are repeatedly reminded by God that we need to wait on Him. Even if our plan is grand and would bring about some good work for His kingdom, He is able to make things happen and His plans are always right. As we learn to wait on the Lord, we grow in faith and are strengthened by God. Isaiah 40:31 tells us: Those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint.

We should not stop making plans for God's kingdom. However, God may have a different means of bringing about the outcome than we, and we must pray and entrust our plan to His guidance.

Dear God, I often make plans without bringing them first to You.  Your ways are good and right. When I wait on You, I am strengthened by your supernatural strength. Help me to entrust my thoughts and fears to You.  In Christ's Name. Amen.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment! Be sure to make note of the "Choose an identity" menu in order to choose your preferred comment pathway.