Friday, April 10, 2015

Fear


Dear Readers,
Since last summer, it has been my goal to write one devotional a week. Lately, I have not fulfilled this ambition.  My kids had Spring Break while I was taking online classes, and we flew out of state to look at a college for my son.  I could not find the time during that week.

This week, I also did not write.  I've had a one-week break from classes but came down with a fever, body aches and a mind that seems to be in a fog.  I noticed while feeling lousy how hard it has been for me to smile and be chipper around others. Then, after the third day of being sick, a fear sets in.  What if I don't get better?  I couldn't stand feeling like this long-term.  I contemplated what it must be like to have cancer and wake up each morning, knowing you will not feel well and yet must put your best foot forward to exhibit a positive attitude.

Often, when we experience pain, we react with fear which only compounds the pain. Fear of pain then leads our mind to imagine layers of new symptoms.  

Being alive includes experiencing pain - both physical and emotional. Often, the emotional pain is more frightening than the physical. We worry about our children, our jobs, our future, money, our relationships. What do I do when I'm filled with fear? First, I fret. Then, I worry.  I'll lose sleep and feel depressed. As a last resort, I finally go to God. Corrie Ten Boom wrote:
"If you look at the world, you'll be distressed.  If you look within, you'll be depressed. If you look at God you'll be at rest." 

Why does it take so long to figure out where true peace can be found?

In 1 Peter 5: 6-7, we read: 
Humble yourselves, therefore, under God's might hand, that he may lift you up in due time. Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you.

Prayer: God - I cast my anxiety on You!

Philippians 4: 6-7:
Be anxious for nothing, but in everything, by prayer and supplication with gratitude, make your requests known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will protect your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.

Prayer: God, I am anxious about so many things. Yet, I am thankful I can come to You and let you know my requests. Please fill my mind with your peace and keep my mind and heart in Christ Jesus.

John 14:27: 
Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you. Not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your hearts be troubled, neither let them be afraid.

Prayer: God, I'm sorry that my heart is troubled and I don't bring my fears to you.  Give me Your peace. 

May you seek peace and fulfillment in Christ Jesus and lean on Him when fear overtakes you.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment! Be sure to make note of the "Choose an identity" menu in order to choose your preferred comment pathway.