Wednesday, July 2, 2014





During my morning jog, I often take pictures of wildlife. I've encountered bears - no kidding! The three bears I have seen on the Santa Fe Trail sent me running quickly in the opposite direction rather than playing dead; this seems to be my natural reaction! Yesterday, I spotted a big hawk sitting proudly on a telephone pole. I quickly took out my cell phone to try to capture the sight, but then an odd thing happened. A small bird pounced on the hawk causing it to shift and move its wings in an attempt to bat off the bird. The little bird didn't' stop, however. He kept flying back, dodging at the hawk. The hawk then swooped down towards the grass with the smaller bird still in pursuit. Perhaps the little bird realized that the fun was over, as he went his way while the hawk flew on to another telephone pole.

When I came home, I read this Scripture from Romans 15: 1-6
We who are strong ought to bear with the failings of the weak and not to please ourselves. Each of us should please our neighbors for their good, to build them up. For even Christ did not please himself but, as it is written: "The insults of those who insult you have fallen on me." For everything that was written in the past was written to teach us, so that through the endurance taught in the Scriptures and the encouragement they provide we might have hope.

May the God who gives endurance and encouragement give you the same attitude of mind toward each other that Christ Jesus had, so that with one mind and one voice you may glorify the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ.

I had just witnessed a pesky little bird taunt a stronger raptor.  I mused about strength.  What makes us strong? It is our faith in Christ that makes us strong enough to endure tough situations and hang on to hope when we feel weak.

Jesus lived a life of selflessness; He acted not to please Himself, but taking on insults, Christ bore the curse of our sins and endured death so that we could be strong in Him. We can take on the humble attitude of our Savior.  "May the God who gives endurance and encouragement give you the same attitude of mind toward each other that Christ Jesus had, so that with one mind and one voice you may glorify the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment! Be sure to make note of the "Choose an identity" menu in order to choose your preferred comment pathway.