Thursday, August 21, 2014




Job was a fortunate man who possessed good health, wealth and a beautiful family -- until it was all taken away from him. When Job contemplated the reasons for his bad luck, his friends indicated he was somehow to blame for his misfortune. They opined that God rewards those who do good and takes away from those who don't live a righteous life. Job's wife wondered why Job did not give up, "curse God and die." Yet, despite all Job had lost, he still rejoiced in his relationship with his Savior. In the face of his many hardships, Job remained strong in his faith. He said,
"I know that my Redeemer lives, 
and at the last he will stand upon the earth. 
And after my skin has been thus destroyed, yet in my flesh I shall see God,
whom I shall see for myself,
and my eyes shall behold, and not another.
My heart faints within me!" (Job 19: 25-27)

Contrary to the view of his friends, Job knew that his goodness did not make him successful or prosperous just his his wickedness did not lead to futility. Job was not defeated by his circumstances. He had lost so much, yet he still clung to what was most important, faith in his Lord and Savior in whose presence Job longed to reside.

God did eventually restore Job's integrity, success and fortune. But regardless of his situation and standing in life, Job had won the battle with evil, not because of his worldly significance, but because of his trust in His Redeemer. He stood strong in the Lord, and the Lord restored his faith. Jesus tells us in John 16:33,
"I have said these things to you, that in me you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation. But take heart; I have overcome the world."

We can rejoice even when we have worries and fears. We can grow closer to our Savior by spending time in His Word and in relationship with Him. When we come to God in repentance, He will restore us and lead us to strength and joy in Him. Christ has overcome the world! Alleluia!

Dear Lord, I know that You, my Redeemer live! I want to see You and spend time on this earth in Your presence. Restore my strength and faith in You so that I too can triumph over the worries that plague me. Thank You that You have overcome the world. For this I rejoice!
In Christ's Name. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment! Be sure to make note of the "Choose an identity" menu in order to choose your preferred comment pathway.