Thursday, September 18, 2014

Quiet

"Be still, and know that I am God. I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth!" (Psalm 46:10)



In the Reflective Teaching class I am presently taking, I was given an assignment this week to sit still and quietly observe a scene for 10 minutes. I was shocked to discover how hard it is to sit quietly without being sidetracked by diversions. As I sat and observed this view the other night, I realized how difficult it is for me to ever totally relax. My mind flits around to so many worries, thoughts, needs and distractions that I somehow think won't get accomplished or perfected without my effort. Then, I look at this serenity and realize that if I am still, and allow Christ's peace to fill me - He is God. He will be exalted despite all of my concerns and fancies. He is exalted in the beauty I presently behold. He brings the breeze that shakes the leaves and then the calm that stills the water. His paintbrush colors the hills purple and the heavens pink and then splashes their reflection onto the lake. He understands my concern, my scattered thoughts, the needs I think are essential but which I surely can do without. And, He takes my distractions, centers them to focus on Him and brings me rest and reassurance that my own worrying cannot accomplish. Only God can give me perfect peace when my mind is stayed on Him:

You keep him in perfect peace
whose mind is stayed on you,
because he trusts in you. (Isaiah 26:3)

It is edifying to be still and disengage from all the hustle and bustle that I daily encounter. Quiet time with God restores my perspective and sense of balance and brings renewal.

Dear Lord: With all that I am trying to daily tackle, I get lost in the busyness. I worry about all that I need to accomplish. Time with You replenishes my spirit and renews my trust in You. Thank You that in You, I can have peace. In Christ's Name. Amen




No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment! Be sure to make note of the "Choose an identity" menu in order to choose your preferred comment pathway.